Monday, August 25, 2008

Besar: to kiss....My Definition:to greet

Hello all, and welcome to my blog. I´m here in Bolivia, and am loving it!!!!!!! But there are some things you might want to know before you die of missing me and come visit:
The number one most obvious thing for me...how to greet.
I´m sure you´ve all seen the movies where when they meet someone, they kiss cheeks. For whatever reason, I never thought of how that would apply to me. But believe me, it does. When I got off the plane my new family all kissed me on the cheek. And I thought ''Okay.'' It wasn´t that unusual. It felt natural to lean in like that.
Then to a family birthday party. I still don´t know the names of everyone, but I have kissed them all.
And thus the stories continue...at my new school, to the boy behind me in Mass (yes, I went to Mass) everyone. And depending on who the person is dictates the kiss. For example, all of the women and most of the men actually had a pucker to my right cheek, but a few just pressed their cheek to mine. And one particular abuela (grandmother) kissed me full out on both cheeks.
It makes me wonder why the US has such an aversion to kissing in greeting. At what point in our lives did it become uncomfortable to kiss anyone besides family and significant others. No entiendo.

And that´s it. I´m here. I´m safe. I´m in school, and have some great friends. My family is fantastic, and the wildlife is pretty great. While sitting in the pool yesterday, some parrots flew overhead. Except for the poverty downtown on the streets...''Por favor señorita...'' and general political unrest, and that one of my friends got mugged awhile ago, this place is heaven. I already love it.

So, hasta luego.

Chau.

4 comments:

Papa Bear said...

What a great blog, Bear. And what a wonderful way to greet people. Keep the blogs coming. We love hearing from you. Tu Papi

Papa Bear said...

Baby Bear says: I miss you. I don't want you to die. I love you. I don't want you to get hurt. I don't want you to kiss a boy on the lips. I love you sooo much. I miss you. I will send you a picture in the mail. Don't look on the back of it, even if it says "smell." You barely have any more gummy vitamins. Can David and me have some of the gum in your room tomorrow? Angel is doing fine. And Alexa and Ashi and Brother Bear and Papa Bear and Mama Bear and Sister Bear and Baby Bear.

Brother Bear says: I hope you don't get mugged. I want to stay in my own room. Popcorn selling season just started. This time I want to sell a lot more than last time. Daddy won't help me. He says it's the last thing on earth he wants to do. Expect to find some origami in the mail.

Rick said...

Do you have a headache yet from trying to understand people? Take care.

Erika said...

Mass comment reply:
Lulie: I won't die, and if I kiss a boy on the lips, I won't tell you. Okay? You and David can have a piece of gum every time you're nice to Brittany.
David: You know what mugged means? Good luck selling lots of popcorn. Dad, be nice and help the boy. His self-respect is on the line! I can't wait for my presnets!!!
Rick: No headaches, but I get really tired after an intense Spanish session. Today I had a two hour lecture and couldn't remember the word for sandals (sandalias) after. I'm fried, but happy.