Saturday, August 30, 2008

Words, words, words. I'm so sick of words!

Another quick quote:

''And never underestimate the importance of BODY LANGUAGE!!!'' Who said it? Hint, from a movie.

And it's true. As quickly as my Spanish improves and my English deteriorates, my sign language improves. It's amazing the concepts you can...shoot, forgot the word...you can...you can...make others understand (not what I was looking for, but it works) by pointing, waving your hands madly in the air, and saying ''Sí,'' ''No,'' and ''No sé.''

In fact, I´m learning a lot about language in general.

Por ejemplo:



When you're in an environment when only one language is being heard, it's difficult to switch. When I was writing a few days ago, I tried to remember a Japanese word and it was so so difficult! My brain, for the last week, has been wired hardcore only to Spanish and English. Trying to recall another completely foreign language is surprisingly hard.

On the same vein, when English is around me, or even the option of English, it's easy to give in and speak English. The radio plays a lot of popular English music. You have no idea how many times I've heard the Jones Brother's top single ''Burning Up.'' But when it's playing and mi mama is speaking to me, I have a more difficult time calling up the Spanish words I need. And I'm lazy. I'll admit it here, though I told Salazar otherwise. I'm lazy because when we're eating dinner and I'm trying to get a point across and it's not working, I tell me brother in English, then he translates.

Then phone calls. Wow, I love talking on the phone in Spanish. Not. Today I was hung up on. I called Paola's cell. When someone answered I said ''Habla Erika'' just like I was supposed to. I mean, this is her phone. Who else would answer? Ha ha, well, not her. Rapid Spanish shot through the phone lines at me, and I understood nothing. Seconds later...click. Dead. A minute later Paola called back and explained that it was her mother.

On the bright side, I'm getting better at speaking with my parents. I've had several full (though broken) conversations with with progressively less No Entiendos. Go me!!!! Er...and my parents for learning Spanglish. I feel bad that we have to resort to it.
The other night my dad said something, then I said something, they after a second of looking at me questionally said, ''Come. Here.'' Ugh! It'd be so less painful for them if I could just learn to freakin talk!

There's my rag on language for you. I think my experience would be completely different if I wasn't in a bilingual school, but I'm learning.

Bolivia is wonderful, the family and friends are wonderful, and the fresh food is to die for.
You are all wonderful too and I love you very much.
Many kisses,
Eri

P.S. Comment with the names of both quotes' movies and you get a virtual hug.

5 comments:

Papa Bear said...

Imagine that. Been in Bolivia for one whole week and you're STILL struggling with the language. I'm glad you push yourself, but lighten up, please. Have fun and get some rest.
P.S. I loved talking to you last night. Your words, words, words were porridge in my papa sized bowl. Mama Bear and Sister Bear ate them up too, and they were just right.

Rick said...

Alright "Little Mermaid" what is the other one? You should hear of a new YW presidency next week sometime. Remember...Ignore English. Get a T-shirt that says..."don't speak engish to me!!" Take care

Caitlin said...

We just finished "Casi Se Muere" in spanish. It is (a book)about a girl who goes on an exchange to south america and saves a boy (muy guapo)with the heimlic manuver on the first day of high school. Then, she falls in love with him, and he says thank you a lot. I bet you could have read it a lot faster than we did. Every paragraph we had to look up at least two words. It is fun to hear what you are up to.
love,
cait

Kris said...

My Fair Daughter, are you like the Little Mermaid, collecting gadgets and whatsits galore? How bout sparkly thingamabobs? On your ears?

I hope I earned more than one virtual hug! Chickee's gonna check out cheer tomorrow! GASP!

Erika said...

Good job to Rick and Mom!! The first is from My Fair Lady, the second from The Little Mermaid.
Thanks for the comments...and no Mom, no thing a ma bobs on my ears yet. More on that later though.
And Cait, you should send me the book if it's not too much money. lol