Saturday, September 6, 2008

Dance dance dance!!!!!!!

Raise your hands if you've ever seen a show by the New Archangel Dancers. If yes, then you know what a character dance is. If no, then you should go see one before the season ends.

A character dance tells a story. Now I'm going to tell you one.

Once upon a time, on a beautiful spring Sunday morning, a group of lovely young women walk home from church to their house that is being frantically cleaned by their butler/manservant. In a few short minutes, a party will be held with many handsome gentlemen in attendance. And what is fun, but a good flirtation? The girls retire to their rooms to clean up and gossip, and the men enter below. The flirty young server brings 'round drinks to the men playing cards. Drinks and cards alike are abandoned as the girls descend the staircase. They look so delicate, that the men are awed and start seranading them on las guitarras. The mother enters the room and greets everyone. She is a great lady, of course, and commands the respect of everyone. Meanwhile, house work must continue, and the maid checks the bread in the oven. Even she, however, cannot resist the call of the music, and joins in with the other girls to dance. All girls are swept off their feet and dance with the men. They ''basic'' ( don't know what it's called really) and jump into the arms of their men, and toss kisses and smiles like candy at a parade. The drama picks up when the mens' eyes wander off their ladies. Really, in a situation like that, what else can be done but slap them? (the men of course.) The women fight valiently to regain their beaux, and in a great whirl, succeed.

That was my evening in a nutshell. And it was incredible! Really, a week and a half of hardcore (every school day) practice, then to be throw onto a stage in front of a million people with lights and music and dancing! It was the most fun I've had since coming here. Since I can remember!
The story was simplified a bit. I was the bread girl, though why a bread girl would wear purple satin, I don't know. And instead of one guy, I had four! One for nineteen counts of basics; one for leaping into his arms and being spun, being lifted with four others girls in a circle, basic-ing, kissing, and slapping; one for fighting over with another girl, and flirting outrangeously; and one for ''kissing'' behind his hat in the end pose.

Oh, and the costumes! Like I said, I was in something akin to purple satin. It's very formfitting down to the tops of my thighs, then a triple ruffle with pink and yellow ribbon goes from there in an assymetrical line. The ruffles are also along the neckline. We wore no shoes.

Getting my hair done for it was quite the party. No sarcasm. Sahsha and I went to the salon where the women washed our hair and braided it from the right side to the left and letting the extension hang over our shoulder. Ribbon was braided in for Sahsha, but I forgot mine and got it before the show. Our hair was finished with glitter hair spray! I love that so much. We shone. And we also got our nails done! My first professional manicure cost 40 Bolivianos...and with an exchange rate of 7 Bs to 1 US dollar, that's quite the deal! I'm toying with the idea of getting a manicure every other week, possible more, just because I'm in the beauty capital of Bolivia and can afford it. Speaking of affording, my total evening cost 120 Bs. That's for the hair, nails, and nude colored underware for under my costume. A little under $20 total.

Then back to one of Sahsha's houses for makeup. Her cousin dolled me up with tons of purple eyeshadow, and tons of blush (I'm too white dang it!) All of the girls do their own makeup, and somehow we all look great.

I can't go through all of this fashion detailing without mentioning the guys. Our men wore white shirts and pants, brown belts and sandals, and straw hats. And I do believe I have never seen hotter guys than those when they were onstage bursting with energy. I just may be in love. :)

What more to say? I will never forget my first South American performance. Oh, and if we did well, we compete again on Sunday (only downside in the whole situation. Only that one.) and if we do incredibly, then onto Brazil!!!! But I'm not counting chickens yet, since they've yet to hatch. Even then, I might not be able to go because of all of the legal crap I'd have to go through. But the idea of it all!

As always, I love this country. I love the people, and my friends, and my new life. Already it is my two week anniversary of coming here! And I am in love with it all.

Take care,
much loves,
Eri

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! That is so exciting! So they do dance competitions? I bet the kissing behind the had pose is fun:) I hope your family took a lot of pictures! I want to see your dress! And your long hair! You should get a pedicure too. Just tell the lady not to scrub off your calluses! I hope you get to go to brazil.
much love,
cait

Erika said...

Actually, I like the kissing w/o the hat more...lol. It's just a pose. Oh, and forgot: Brittany, I taught a guy the fake-out technique. He loves it!
I want my calluses gone now...so far haven't figured out how to get ballet into schedule. :( It's either folklorico or cheerleaders (mandatory) every day after school. But I want ballet too... :( Have you gotten the letter yet?

Papa Bear said...

Nuestra querida hija,
Felicitaiones!
Nos hace un gran placer saber que tu estas tan contenta.
Con milliones de besos y abrazos.
May your television debut be smashing!
Tu Papi

Caitlin said...

No, I haven't gotten a letter yet. Are you still VL?! Cheerleaders! Fun! Have you started yet? Ballet will always be here for you next year. I hope I get your letter soon!
LURVE
caitlin

Erika said...

Haha, I am still VL. As are, like, five of my friends. But I made a deal with one...if I kiss someone before I go, she has to too. :)
I went to cheerleaders last night and decided I wasn't going to do it, but it was still a lot of fun.