Sunday, October 19, 2008

Eenglish/Inglesh lengueg...I theenk

Oh dear. It's happening. I'm forgetting how to speak English. Sure, I still know a basic sentance (or is it sentence? I think it's sentence. I'm starting over.) Sure, I still know a basic sentence structure with the subject, predicate, etc. and so forth, but I'm losing some other things. Those bigs words I pull out for essays and to show off are sliding away and away till I can no longer see them. The other day I was trying to think of a big word, it's starts with an ''a,'' and I think I was thinking about my legs too. I stopped trying to remember it, and a few hours later it came to me: atrophy.
The spelling is going too. I didn't spell sentence with an ''a'' to make a point. Honest to goodness, that was an accident. Earlier this week I was sketching a Before and After scene. One of my classmates leaned over and without a word about my drawing abilities, told me ''Befor'' had an ''e'' at the end of it. Holy Macaroni! Do you see my problem? I've also mistaken ''genious'' for ''genius'' and ''clase'' for ''class'' in the last little edad (ha ha, age in Spanish.)
Sentences are coming out very strangly also. In my last assignment, here in the blog, about heat, I spent a very long time cursing my brain for forgetting. There is a sentence, I'm not saying which, that held my frustration for quite a long time because it just wouldn't flow! In my angry...oops...I meant anger, I hit the desk and said rather loudly ''¡No puedo hablar en ingles! ¡No puedo hacer mi tarea para mi clase de ingles en Alaska porque no recuerdo ingles!''
My grumbly grey stormcloud lightened a bit, and got a freakin platinum lining: I didn't have to pause once, or think at all about my tirade (is that a word? It sounds like English) in Spanish. Everyday conversations are still a pain, and incomprehensible, but when anger apparently improves my Spanish. Who'da thunk it?
Crap. That sentence made no sense at all. I meant: Everyday conversations are still a pain, and incomprehensible, but apparently anger improves my Spanish.


PS I'm purposely not editing this so you can see how nasty my language is becoming. I realize, Ms. Christianson, that the quality of my essays are probably decreasing because I can't speak English anymore. I sincerly hope this won't take my credit away, because I really want to graduate on time.
And thank goodness I took the SATs and ACTs before I came here. If my language declination (is that a word?) continues in its curent, currant, current, (crap) trend, I can see my scores dropping. Ack. What the freak, I don't really care now. But I betcha a hundred Bs I will care when I'm a senior.

4 comments:

Papa Bear said...

Wait till you add the third language. Things really get messy then.

Papa Bear said...

I sat next to Ms. Christianson's parents-in-law? from Seattle to Sitka last night. Her name didn't register at the moment which either shows that I'm woefully under involved in your high school education or that my mind is continuing to slip. Or maybe it's just that you do everything so well on your own that you're raising a lazy dad.

Sarah and Garrett said...

I can totally relate. Writing emails would take forever. I wanted to mention to you the funny thought I had the other day. I asked Garrett if I could go hide out in South America next summer. Garrett said maybe. I said "I'm just following in the steps of my ancestors. Butch Cassidy did it." Then I realized that you are actually doing it because you are in Bolivia. How funny that you are following in Uncle Leroy's footsteps. Just don't die in any shootouts with the police. :)

Denalee said...

It's impressive how quickly you've become a Bolivian! It's going to be hard to come back, you know .... that is, if it weren't for the fact that your family is here. Love reading all about it - thanks for posting!